NEW ALBANY NJROTC RECEIVES MOST OUTSTANDING UNIT AND DISTINGUISHED UNIT (WITH HONORS) AWARDS
The NJROTC Area Three Manager recently announced that New Albany NJROTC has received the Area Three Most Outstanding Unit Award! This prestigious award for excellence in all aspects of the NJROTC program, not only identifies New Albany as the #1 Unit in Area Three (54 schools in 12 states including Indiana), but nationally ranks them in the top 11 out of 550 Units nationwide! They will now be evaluated for a final national ranking among the other top 10 schools. This is the second time (2009) that New Albany has received the Area Three Most Outstanding Unit Award!
They also received the Navy Distinguished Unit Award (With Academic Honors) for the 11th consecutive year! This is the 12th time in 15 years that their Unit has received this award keeping them at the very top with the best programs in the country!
In addition to Rifle Team winning their second Navy National Championship, listed below are other highlights from this stellar award winning and championship 2017-2018 school year :
NEW ALBANY CADETS RECEIVED 1.35 MILLION DOLLARS IN SCHOLARSHIPS!
- Luke Kaiser – Received a direct appointment to the Naval Academy and a Navy ROTC scholarship to Texas A&M plus Army ROTC scholarships to Purdue and Rose-Hulman Institute
- Mark Cooper – Received 4 year Air Force ROTC scholarship to the University of Louisville
- Benjamin Meriwether – Enlisted in the United States Navy (Nuclear Power Program). Scored in the top 5% on the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB)
- Brandon Evans – Enlisted in the United States Marine Corps. Scored in the top 10% on the Armed Services Vocational Battery (ASVAB)
- Jacob Hall– Serves as the Battalion Academic Officer and is the Honor Cadet for his class
- Ethan Kruer – Received the Civilian Marksmanship Program Scholarship
National Academic Exam
Scored in the top 3% in the country out of 550 schools on the NJROTC National Academic Exam.
- 2018 Navy National Champions
- 2017 Secretary of the Navy Precision RifleChampions
- 2017 Area Three Precision RifleChampions
- 2017 Kentuckiana Rifle LeagueChampions
Presented the Colors for ESPNU national TV broadcast of New Albany High School basketball game.
Community / School Service
Combined total of 5,204 hours of service! Community Emergency Response Team assisted Disaster Relief efforts of Floyd County homes due to Ohio river flooding. 50 cadets are CPR / First Aid certified and 73 cadets donated blood to the Red Cross.
Unit trip to San Diego, California
Cadets received a 90 min tour onboard the active duty aircraft carrier USS Roosevelt (CVN 71). They also enjoyed a one hour boat ride in San Diego Bay on a naval vessel from the Naval Amphib Base Coronado earning their “Sea Cruise” ribbon. Additionally, the cadets toured an active duty helicopter squadron at Naval Air Station North Island and the USS Midway, a World War II aircraft carrier. There was also time for site seeing at the San Diego Zoo, Coronado beach and attending a San Diego Padres Baseball game.
Congratulations on receiving the NJROTC Area Three Most Outstanding Unit Award and being ranked in the Top 11 NJROTC units in the nation!